LATEST Post

The Book Report: Maggie Millie and Merrie’s Magical Adventure by Rosie Russell

               Maggie Millie and Merrie’s                             Magical Adventure                       by    Rosie Russell  ...

Artist And Children's Book Author, Jan Britland

Jan Britland is an artist and children's book author.. The Adventures of Rodger Dodger Dog started with a dog that was tied to a tree in Jan's New Jersey neighborhood. The dog would climb up into the tree if it was raining or if it was hot to keep cool. As she would drive her children to school, Jan would make up stories about "Rodger Dodger" and the adventures he would have up in the tree.
bulldogs Duncan and Madison, a parrot Lola and two red-eared turtles Sparky and Chip, all of whom are portrayed in her stories
Jan's children, who now have children of their own, wanted to have the stories written down to read to their children. Jan agreed to write the stories after reading a book to her grandson Dalton who upon completion of the book asked "Gammy, what does it mean??" The book had no beginning, middle or end. The book essentially was disjointed words with no story or rhyme.
The Adventures of Rodger Dodger Dog are written in rhyme with a beginning, middle and end. They are written to entertain you and your children.
The first of the adventures is, Talented Dog, and from there the adventures grew to twenty one. Covering some of life's more notable experiences like going to the doctor, the dentist, Rodgers birthday party, and Camp Tee Hee, just to name a few. They are all engaging and humorous.
 The first book contains three adventures: The Talented Dog, The Clever Dog and The Strongest Dog.
The Illustrations by Mike Swaim are absolutely amazing, bringing Rodger Dodger and his pals alive with all of the action you would expect from a children's adventure picture book.
The Adventures of Rodger Dodger Dog are sure to become a favorite of all who read it.

Hi Jan, so glad to get this opportunity to speak with you again. 


1. What drew you to writing for children? 
Writing for children was something I had never planned on doing.  I was writing down the stories I used to tell my children so they could share them with their children.  I decided to get them illustrated and I put them in book form before sending them to my grand children.  When they got them they loved the stories and the illustrations so they shared them with their classes at school.  The teachers at the schools loved them and they encouraged me to get them published. I decided to give it a go and I haven't looked back.  It has been such a rewarding "Adventure" I can't remember anything I have ever loved doing as much as I love reading my books to children.

2. Tell us about the real Rodger Dodger? 
The Adventures of Rodger Dodger Dog started with a dog that was tied to a tree in my New Jersey neighborhood. The dog would climb up into the tree if it was raining or if it was hot to keep cool. While driving my children to school, I would make up stories about "Rodger Dodger" and the adventures he would have up in the tree. My children, who now have children of their own, wanted to have the stories written down to read to their children. I agreed to write the stories after reading another author's book to my grandson, Dalton that he didn't understand upon completion the story and asked "Gammy, what does it mean?”

3. When did the storyteller in you surface?
 I have always loved writing stories as far back as I can remember.  I have a wild imagination, but was always too busy with work and family to get anything published.

4. Tell us about your books in The Adventures of Rodger Dodger Dog series?
 All of the books are written in rhyme with action packed, colorful illustrations. The first book "The Adventures of Rodger Dodger Dog" features three short stories .The first "Talented Dog" is how Rodger Dodger Dog climbs a tree only to meet someone else "his size" up in the tree.  What happens next is a surprise.  The second story "Clever Dog," is how Rodger Dodger dog goes to the beach and finds a stranded fish.  He has to figure out how to get the fish back into the sea.  The third "Strongest Dog" is how Rodger Dodger Dog battles the dreaded flea. 

The Adventures of Rodger Dodger Dog, a Christmas Story, is about how Rodger Dodger Dog and some of his friends get together and put up their first Christmas tree.They make the ornaments themselves and decorate the tree.  When Christmas morning arrives they see all the presents Santa has left under their tree.  After a few minutes they realize that "of all the gifts you can get, friends and family are the best!"  It is truly a great Christmas story that lets children realize that family and friends are the most important parts of our lives!

The Adventures of Rodger Dodger Dog, Rodger saves Bunny is about bullying. Rodger has been chasing Bunny for fun for months!  He doesn't realize that Bunny is terrorized by him.  Then he finds Bunny passed out in the woods and brings his "friend" home to nurse back to health.  When Bunny wakes up Rodger is shocked to find out that Bunny is actually afraid of him.  It helps children realize that when they play with others they must always be sure everyone is having fun!!

The Adventures of Rodger Dodger Dog, Rodgers Birthday Surprise has all the characters in the series in the story.  They decide to give Rodger a surprise birthday party and they even get the lightning bugs to light up the tent.  They have their cake and ice cream, play games and Bunny and Rudy entertain them with their silly tunes!!   The flea is also in this book hiding in the illustrations.

The Adventures of Rodger Dodger Dog, Rodger meets Dr. Glee tells the tale of how Rodger wakes up with his tongue too large, his head too smalll and his tummy doesn't feel good at all.  So he calls to Bunny to calls the fox and they call Rudy asleep in his box.  The friends decide to take Rodger to Dr. Glee who is working at the zoo, but he will be their quite late because the hedgehog has been sneezing and is in an awful state!  The friends get Rodger to the zoo and Dr. Glee figures out what is wrong with him and treats him with a pill. By the time they get Rodger home he is happy he took the pill and so thankful for his friends and Dr. Glee.

The Adventures of Rodger Dodger Dog, Rodger goes to the dentist starts with Rodger waking up with a pain in his sharp tooth.  When he goes to move the pain goes through the roof!!  As he lays on the porch barely able to breathe Mack the cat come up to see him  Mack tells Rodger about Dr. Glee the dentist.  Rodger gets all excited and says I know Dr. Glee he fixed me when I had the green flu.  Mack tells Rodger that this Dr. Glee just works on teeth the flu Dr. Glee is his brother! Mack and Rodger start out for the dentists office and run into the fox and the papergirl who has just finished her route!  They climb into the baskets on her bike and they take off!  The flea is back in this book hiding in some of the illustrations!!!  

There is also The Adventures of Rodger Dodger Dog Activities Book with fun puzzles and coloring pages.  There is a page for each story book with comprehension questions complete with little clips from the illustrations on them so children learn that they not only have to learn to read, they have to remember what they read!!   
no

5. How have you come up with the other characters in the books?
I love this question, believe it or not at one time or another I have had all these animals as pets.  Right now I have a bulldog, parrot, turtles, goldfish and a lizard.  I had to put all the pets that I have had in the books.  I loved them all and they deserve a place together in the books.

6. Does the series have a theme or message that runs through them?
I never intended them to have a message.  I wrote them just for fun, but I realized after listening to teacher comments, they do have a theme or message.  From problem solving in the first book, to no bullying in Rodger saves Bunny, the books take on the problems and experiences that children may face day to day and address them and solve them in a fun way!

7. I know that Illustrator, Mike Swaim illustrates your books. With you being an artist as well as an author, why didn’t you do your own illustrations?
  While it is true I am an artist and even teach oil painting, I realized I didn't have the talent to "Bring Rodger To Life."  Because these are the Adventures of, I wanted a lot of action in the illustrations so I found cartoonist Mike Swaim and he had just the right skills and thought process to bring Rodger alive!  I send him the manuscript and what I see for that page and he does the rest.  I can only think of a few instances that we have had to change something.  It has been a pleasure to work with him...by the way I have never met him.  He lives in Texas and I live in Florida.  We do it all by e-mail!

8. Do you write in any other genre?
  I have another book out  the title is "I Know A Secret."  It's about a young boy who wakes up and the electric is off and he doesn't know what to do...so he ends up staring at his right shoe!  His little sister tells us I know a secret and you know it too there are so many things Dalton Foster could do...  He could take a bus ride to the Bronx Zoo and have a talk with a camel or two.  He could dive into the ocean to find sunken treasure, he could travel the world all the miles he could measure!  His little sister goes on to list a bunch of fun things he could do... if he just read a book like me and like you!!

9. Was there any particular children’s author or authors who influenced you? 
 Unfortunately when I was young I was so dyslexic I couldn't read until the 5th grade.  I was barely able to get by.  It was then that my teacher Miss. Evelyn Caldwell stayed late and came in early every day to teach me to read.  She changed my life and others as well.  When I started to read it was mysteries that caught my interest, they are like solving a puzzle. I loved Agatha Christie's work and all her characters.

10. What advice do you have for starting out children’s writers?
  If I could give anyone who is writing a children's book for the first time advice it is keep at it, get a good editor and don't listen to anyone who says you can't do it.  I never dreamed that I would be having this much fun working at something I love and if I had given up all I would have is a box full of manuscripts instead of a heart full of great memories of the children and teachers I have met along the way!

11. What genres and authors do you read yourself?
I usually read mysteries, right now I am reading Lee Childs Jack Reacher series. The John Sanford books, love, love Clive Cussler, there are so many but these are the most recent and the ones who keep producing new books that keep me coming back for more. I read several books a month.

12. What are you working on now?
 Right now I am writing the Adventures of Rodger Dodger Dog as a chapter book for the children who missed them in their rhyming text as little ones.  They will come out early next year.  I am really excited about them because of all the detail I am able to add to the stories.  It truly is a labor of love.

Thank you so much, Jan for doing this interview.  I've read all The Adventures of Rodger Dodger Dog series and loved them very much! They are among my favorite children's books and I recommend them to parents. Their children will live them too!    ~JD
http://www.rodgerdodgerdog.com/Store/Store.html


Find Jan Britland and her books at:


IN THE SERIES:

The Adventures of Rodger Dodger Dog, A Christmas Story: A Christmas Story


The Adventures of Rodger Dodger Dog, Rodger saves Bunny

The Adventures of Rodger Dodger Dog: Rodger meets Dr. Glee


The Adventures of Rodger Dodger Dog, Rodger's Birthday Surprise!: Rodger's Birthday Surprise! http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Rodger-Rodgers-Birthday-Surprise/dp/1479325015


The Adventures of Rodger Dodger Dog: First Adventure


Other books by Jan Britland: 

The Adventures of Rodger Dodger Dog Activities Book


I Know A Secret 





No comments:

Post a Comment

JD's Artwork!

www.flickr.com
Jd (Jan) Holiday's itemsGo to Jd (Jan) Holiday's photostream

MY SITE!