Book Designer and Illustrator, Aidana WillowRaven

http://WillowRaven.weebly.com
 If you need a book Designer and illustrator, you don't need to look further than one of the top book designers I know, Aidana WillowRaven.  Working in most genres, from picture books to novels, she has illustrated and/or designed over 500 books and ebooks through her company, WillowRaven Illustration and Design Plus, in Memphis, Tennessee. 
Aidana WillowRaven, tradigital artist (hybrid artist who combines traditional training and techniques with digital tools and applications) and mother of three, trained in Fine Art, Studio Design, and Animation at NSU and ODU. WillowRaven works with traditional publishers, as well as, independent authors. In addition to her freelance business, she is also the Art Director and VP of Operations at 4RV Publishing. Aidana also offers occasional tutorials, tips, and tricks in the art and design industries. 

Hi Aidana,  
Thank you for being here. For years I have admired your work greatly. And I love that I see your work everywhere, Aidana.
What circumstances inspired you to pursue your art?   I was in a bad place (second marriage failed), writing in my diary to cope, and discovered it was being read by the very cause of my stress. I had to find another outlet that was more cryptic. I also had a lot of time on my hands and was reading a lot of fantasy novels. I loved the book covers but was sometimes disturbed by irregularities between text and visual representation or poor execution like bad proportions. I started trying to re-draw the covers as I think they should have been created when I realized I could tell my own stories vaguely enough while still dealing with emotions and stress. I decided to go to college and start life anew and really couldn't think of what else to study but art, to become a cover art one day.

Who are the artists and illustrators that inspire you most?   Michael Whelan is a HUGE influence, as is Frank Frazetta and Boris Vallejo and Salvador Dali.

What was your original goal to achieve as an artist, and have you reached it? I wanted to come a science-fiction/fantasy book cover artist. That's what I am :D

How many covers do you do a year? That's a tough one. I stopped counting a while back, lol. 50, maybe 100?

Is your main medium digital?   Currently, yes. I started out as a traditional artist but fell in love with the digital medium a few years back. I do, however, still play with my charcoals and paints.

What other mediums have you worked in?   Charcoal, colored pencil, ink, acrylic paint, oil paint, watercolors, and whatever else grabs my attention.

What art programs/software do you use?   I start in Daz and end in photoshop.

How do you describe you over all style?   Ugh! Another hard one ... Dramatic, maybe?

How do you approach a paintings or drawings when you start a new project?   Normally with the key element, like the main character of a special tree or mountain. The scene grows from there.

Does the author you are designing a cover for tell you what they want or do you design more than one cover for them to choose from? I plan the cover with the author.
We go over scene ideas and come up with a plan, usually via live chat on my site.

Besides book covers, where can people find your art on displayed?   My website and blog are the most obvious places. Besides that, I display work and sell prints at MidSouthcon.

What type of illustration services do you provide?   Book covers, interior illustrations, interior layout, ebook conversion, logos, editing, websites, marketing media, etc.

What are your upcoming projects?     I have a dozen or more projects in varying degrees of completion. Some are covers, others are layouts, logos, edits. A little of it all.

Where can everyone find your art work and learn more about you? My website. My blog. Twitter.



Thank you so much, Aidana for doing this interview.  

Thanks for having me :D


Find Aidana WillowRaven on her website:http://WillowRaven.weebly.com
Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/AidanaWillowRaven


Aidana WillowRaven/WillowRaven Illustration and Design Plus
Book covers ~ Book Illustration and Cover Creation

3 comments:

  1. I came across Aidana's work some years ago and have always admired what she does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carole, Hope you are well! Yes, I have admired her for a long time.
    Thanks for letting us know.

    ~JD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing the interview. Aidana is very talented, and I love her art!

    ReplyDelete