BOOK REPORT CLASSICS: Review of the book, THE THIRTY-NINE STEPS: In a NutShell!

Love this book! I grew up watching the Million Dollars Movies on TV with my mother and one of the greatest movies to this day, I think, is The Thirty-nine Steps, Produced by Alfred Hitchcock and starring Robert Donat (1905 to 1958) and Madeline Carroll (1906 to 1987.) So I was in for an awakening when I read the original book by John Buchan (1875 to 1940.) In The Thirty-nine Steps written is 1915 you follow Richard Hannay, who must decipher a murdered man's code book while threading through a maze of murder and mystery from England to Scotland and back again. You fall in love with the Scottish countryside as Hannay evades the German spies leading to the first World War and British police who think he has murdered the one man who knows how Germany will destroy the Britsh navy.
You will be surprised at how different the story is from any movie version! With its 113 pages, The Thirty-nine Steps is a quick and wonderful read!
That's Book Report Classics: In A NutShell!
JD Holiday

15 comments:

  1. Have always loved this book, and the various film versions that have been made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carole,
    Me too! It's amazing how one story can have many versions!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never read this, but now I really want to ;)

    I'm following.

    ecwrites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elisabeth!
    Glad to meet you and I'm following too!
    Love you latest post AND the little guy wearing soda boxes! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI JANET! (way up at the top of my posts)
    Is that my Derailed Poet! Love your
    latest poem Porcelain Sisters by you and Alan Phillips.
    After I read it I have to come across an artist, Sandy Lynam Clough who has these BEAUIFUL paintings of tea cup and such andI thought of your poem again.
    ♥♥♥ Jan
    http://www.sandyclough.com/Fine%20Art%20Print/Fine_Art_Frameset.htm

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reminds me of the current buzz over MILDRED PIERCE--another great classic. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds interesting. In my opinion the book is always so much better than the movie. I am now following you. WV Stitcher .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Brenda,
    I think so too. And I'm following you now too.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I must admit I have never watched the film, or heard of this book. But I think I will be picking up a copy sharp as it sounds like something that'd interest me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never heard of it, but it sounds interesting! I think code cracking is fascinating, and always love a good murder mystery. I'm following you from Book Blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jennifer and Nikki!
    It's an oldie but a goodie, I think.
    I'm following you too, Nikki! :D
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. The blog is very good!
    Congratulations!
    http://nelsonsouzza.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much, Nel! LOVE LITERATURE & LANGUAGES!!!!!! :D

    Best
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

JD's Artwork!

www.flickr.com
Jd (Jan) Holiday's itemsGo to Jd (Jan) Holiday's photostream

MY SITE!